Friday 11 May 2012

The Song of the Skylark




This morning I heard a Skylark his song soaring high in the clear blue sky - below is a passage from someone who can describe it far better than me.
skylark
Today through the window-pane I see a lark high up against the grey cloud, and hear his song.  I cannot walk about and arrange with the buds and gorse-bloom; how does he know it is the time for him to sing?


gorse

Without my book and pencil and observing eye, how does he understand that the hour has come?  To sing high in the air, to chase his mate over the low stone wall of the ploughed field, to battle with his high-crested rival, to balance himself on his trembling wings outspread a few yards above the earth and utter that sweet little loving hiss, as it were, of song - oh happy, happy days!  So beautiful to watch as if he were my own, and I felt it all!

written by Richard Jeffreys


6 comments:

  1. Always a joy to hear (and watch) a skylark. They are the South Downs in summer to me. Often it is so still and so quiet that theirs is the only sound. D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David - They just sound so happy to be alive somehow

      Delete
  2. Lucky you as we don't get them here sadly! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need the wide open spaces for skylarks Flighty - we have plenty of that round here.

      Delete
  3. It's ridiculous, I've heard larks since childhood but have never known what they look like - that they have punk crests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen one in real life as they are always way up high - but I hear them most days - they sound like they are just glad to be alive.

      Delete