Allotment Wildlife Reserve

At the allotment, the areas where I used to keep hens are now completely overgrown.  When the hens were in residence there was hardly a blade of grass to be seen.  As any hen keeper knows, they are extremely efficient as lawnmowers  and any hope of a picturesque hen run is out of the question.  I don't keep hens any more; after many losses to 'Mr. Fox' I decided to call it a day.  I have decided to let nature take its course and let it revert back to what it once was.  At the moment it is overrun with goose grass, which I am pulling out, as I don't particularly want it seeding in my veg garden; but, I noticed today that other wild flowers are starting to appear, so hopefully a wildflower meadow may emerge eventually.  To the untrained eye it may look a bit messy, unkempt and unloved - but gradually it may turn into a thing of beauty.
Pictured above:  Greenfinch Rose (the buds start out apricot coloured then as they open out fully they turn into beautiful clotted cream coloured frilly tutus).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the rise of the apple and the fall of the oak ...

Down to Earth ...

the sweet calm sunshine of September ...