Thursday 26 May 2011

Allotment Wildlife Reserve

At the allotment, the areas where I used to keep hens are now completely overgrown.  When the hens were in residence there was hardly a blade of grass to be seen.  As any hen keeper knows, they are extremely efficient as lawnmowers  and any hope of a picturesque hen run is out of the question.  I don't keep hens any more; after many losses to 'Mr. Fox' I decided to call it a day.  I have decided to let nature take its course and let it revert back to what it once was.  At the moment it is overrun with goose grass, which I am pulling out, as I don't particularly want it seeding in my veg garden; but, I noticed today that other wild flowers are starting to appear, so hopefully a wildflower meadow may emerge eventually.  To the untrained eye it may look a bit messy, unkempt and unloved - but gradually it may turn into a thing of beauty.
Pictured above:  Greenfinch Rose (the buds start out apricot coloured then as they open out fully they turn into beautiful clotted cream coloured frilly tutus).

No comments:

Post a Comment