Skip to main content

Blackcurrant Bonanza!


Yesterday, I was having a 'furtle' in the shrubbery (sounds rude!) looking for weeds, when I came across a self-seeded Blackcurrant bush. absolutely dripping with fruit.  What an unexpected bonus.  So, I have decided to make  blackcurrant cordial instead of jam, as I still have jars left from last year.

Blackcurrant Cordial
Place 13oz. blackcurrants, 1.3/4 pints of water and 10oz. caster sugar in a saucepan.  Bring to the boil, then simmer for just 5 minutes.  Press through a sieve then bottle.

I will put some in plastic pop bottles for freezing as it only lasts  a couple of weeks in the 'fridge.

You can do the same with Raspberries adjust the quantity to 20oz. raspberries with the juice of half a lemon added.


Pick of the Crops
On my early morning visit to the allotment I found that the Broccoli is ready for harvesting.  Of course, they are all ready at once, and if you don't pick them when they are in their prime, they start to separate and go to seed.  So, for the next couple of weeks, we shall be very healthy and full of broc.



Self-seeders
I may have mentioned before that I like to let plants self-seed around, I think I may have let it go a bit far this year.





Poppies and Marigolds
Both have seeded freely in and amongst the potato crop - I haven't got the heart to pull them up when they seem so happy where they are.  I'll probably regret it next year when I have no room for anything else - I must learn to be brutal - but not just yet!

Comments

  1. I rather like it - and I'm hoping that my veg patch will look this way by the end of July! I've got sunflowers coming up between the potatoes, calendula appearing amongst the courgettes (both self-seeded) plus I've sown cornflower, nigella, bergamot and honeywort, and planted a poppy - all self-seeders for next year! Profusion of colour, here we come!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What type of poppies are those, Elaine? My oriental ones are just finishing, but I have my first crop of Shirley poppies coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love broccoli, and we are currently eating lots of it too. The "Kaibroc" ones I have grown for the first time this year are great. The stems are bigger, and the flowers smaller than most similar types. The stems are lovely and succulent. I imagine that if you had a lot you could freeze them, but I never think that frozen produce is as nice as real fresh stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish that I could find something like that when I'm weeding!
    My potato patch has become a pot marigold one with potatoes but the poppies have behaved themselves this year! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the rise of the apple and the fall of the oak ...

Sunday
Early morning.  We drove down to the lake for a stroll in the autumn sunshine; the air was chilled in the shadows but the sun was bright.  The water level was still very low; we have had hardly any rain for weeks.  On the spit of land a gaggle of Canada geese preening and resting.  The water still and calm.

 We walked further along the lane, and there just around the bend, my favourite oak tree; a lopsided old thing with winky-wonky branches.  But all was not well.  The trunk had split and there was a gut-wrenching open wound.
 
I loved that old tree and always take a photograph of it when we are down there; a kind of tradition.




Now, half the tree lying on the ground - only fit for firewood - such a shame - I felt really sad.


Monday
Spent the morning pruning the Amelanchier which had outgrown its space.  My neighbour came round with foxglove self-seeders which I planted beneath it now that there is some room.  I have finally come to the end of the garden restoration project -…

Down to Earth ...

A nothing much happened kind of week.  Mostly it rained and rained and rained.  The sun burst through for short periods then hid behind the clouds and it rained again.  The garden is flattened and battered and a soggy mess.  We have had the heating on it has been so chilly - even my pet sheep had their hats and scarves on.


On Monday electricians came and fitted an earthing device.  On Tuesday a different electrician came and earthed us (our earthing spike had deteriorated - whatever that is) - apparently new regs said it had to be done before the house could be signed off as completed.  The electrician also fitted the new ceiling lights to replace the water damaged ones.


And a new desk has been installed to replace the water damaged one.


Next week all the carpets are going to be fitted and voila - we're done.  Hurrah!

Meanwhile back at the ranch - every time the sun came out I rushed into the garden to take some pics of the least damaged flowers.


The view from the kitchen window

the sweet calm sunshine of September ...

" It was a morning of ground mist, yellow sunshine, and high rifts of blue, white-cloud-dappled sky.  The leaves were still thick on the trees, but de-spangled gossamer threads hung on the bushes and the shrill little cries of unrest of the swallows skimming the green open spaces of the park told of  autumn and change." ~ Flora Thompson


September has been a very productive month for me. I have worked hard in the garden with a feeling of racing against time; although, in truth, there is plenty of time to do everything - I just wanted to get it done while the weather was good, so much more pleasant working outside when it is a little warmer, rather than having to wrap up in coats and boots to get it all done.  I have planted every last bulb that I possess; those I saved from last year; those I bought this year; every piece of ground and every container has been put to use - if I don't get a good display in spring then something has gone seriously wrong.


Gardening fo…