Monday, 13 June 2011

The Bucket - A Gardeners' Friend



Where would we be without a decent sized bucket, preferably big and black.  If I am planning to spend a while pottering in the garden out comes the bucket - in goes the hand fork, trowel, secateurs, string - anything I think I will need during my garden wanderings.  In go any weeds that I may pass by that catch my eye, tie something up here, dig out something there.  I couldn't be without it.  For more serious work, there is the wheelbarrow of course.  Bags of manure, compost and grit follow me round.  But as a general rule, the bucket is handier and more useful.  I do own one of those big plastic garden trugs but I hardly ever bother with it - I am loyal to my bucket.

3 comments:

  1. I've got one of those RHS gardening bags - lots of pockets around the sides, stuffed with string, scissors, soft ties, plant labels, pencils, 2 secateurs (both blunt - must get some Felcos), 2 trowels, a few old peas that fell into the bottom, etc etc. And a big bag of seeds in the middle that need to be sown!! Definitely couldn't go down to the Veg Patch without it! I should probably take a bucket as well but would have to have octopus arms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very posh to me definitely more upmarket than a bucket - perhaps I should treat myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A big, black builder's bucket is an essential plot item! I use mine to carry stuff to and from the plot and when watering.
    They also make good containers for growing things in. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete

By Way of Explanation ...

Hello The short blogging break I intended to re-charge my batteries has changed into a rather more extended one - longer than I anticipate...