Sunday, 24 July 2011

Rustic Dwarfs


Rudbeckia 'Rustic Dwarfs'
This is a picture of my Rudbeckia's from last year, I feel fully justified in showing you this, as it might as well be a picture from this year, as they have grown exactly the same. Why am I telling you this?  Because they are meant to be annuals - that is what it says on the seed packet.  Even more amazing is that they came through one of the hardest winters I can remember!  So, I looked them up in my plant encyclopedia, and guess what - they are a perennial, grown as an annual, presumably because they are half-hardy.

As I thought they were an annual, at the end of the flowering season I have always dug them up.  Last year I didn't for some reason, laziness probably, and they survived, to grow bigger and even better.  I have been picking bunches for weeks now, and they will continue flowering right until the first frosts.  So, I would say that is jolly good value for money.  The packet of seed was 99p.  All this colour in the garden for under a £1. 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely flowers! I keep meaning to sow some and never do! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are probably marketed as annuals in order to boost sales at the Garden Centres!

    ReplyDelete

By Way of Explanation ...

Hello The short blogging break I intended to re-charge my batteries has changed into a rather more extended one - longer than I anticipate...