Friday 9 September 2011

An Obsessive Collector

I am one of those people who can't resist  picking up things when I am out and about, (I'm the one with my head down on a beautiful beach in Norfolk looking for pretty shells instead of admiring the views). Or when I am going for my daily outing on my bike or just walking I bring home sticks for the fire or bags full of hedgerow fruits (I never go out without a bag in my pocket) - I just can't help myself - it must be the hunter-gatherer in me.
The collection includes weird shaped fossilly things, shells, horseshoes, twisty bits of driftwood and a sheeps skull. Does anyone else have this obsession or am I just a weirdo?
I thought I would share pictures of last nights' sunset with you - it was amazing - this seems to be another obsession at the moment (the pictures really don't do it justice)

Finally, I thought I would just pay tribute to this Hebe, one of only two that survived last winter in my garden.  I thought it was a gonner just like all the rest, so I cut it right down to the ground in the hope that it would put out shoots, and it has.  Prior to last winter it had been my pride and joy, taking up a lot of the front garden border, but putting on a wonderful show of colour practically all year round.  It has got a long way to go to get back to what it was, and, to be honest, looks a bit of a mess at the moment, but I have high hopes for it and may well give it some TLC overwinter this year to make sure it survives.

5 comments:

  1. You got some wonderful photos. That Hebe looks lovely and worth the effort to save it.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your sunset photo's, Im a sucker for a good sunset. Your Hebe is a gorgeous colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're certainly not a weirdo doing that!
    What a wonderful sunset. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elaine, those sunset photos are just fabulous. I bet you were a collector as a child too, with a bedroom full of stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am a scavenger, think that's the right word. All my nice stones, shells, interesting bits of metal etc I place around the pond, Derek Jarman style.

    ReplyDelete