Friday, 2 September 2011

Little Miss Sunshine

Sedum (Stonecrop)
How can you fail to notice this little patch of sunshine in a garden.  This plant is a self-seeder that has decided to grow in a patch of gravel and really brightens up its little corner.  It is easy to propagate from cuttings of non-flowering shoots or by division.  It has also seeded itself on the flat roof of our house extension, but I have never seen it in flower there, so we have a 'living' roof.  In our nearby market town I noticed that one of the bus shelters has also been planted as a living roof - I wonder how many other people have noticed it, not many I bet.  I think a 'living roof' is a great idea and would like to add to it in some way, but I am not sure of what plants would be suitable.  A bit of research is needed I think. I know you can buy roof mats which are already planted with sedum that you just lay on the roof which is another good idea, although the cost may be restrictive - maybe something to look into.

There are quite a few ways of decorating your house outdoors, using trellis for climbing plants in pots where there is no soil.  Or maybe, as in our case, growing downwards - we have a bay window which has a flat roof - I could put containers around the edge and plant climbers without support so that they trail downwards. 

So. if you run out of planting space in the garden - with just a bit of lateral thinking - you could increase your growing capacity quite considerably.


  1. The flower heads on this Sedum are lovely. Sedum is one of my favorites.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

  2. Patch of sunshine is a great way to describe this. Sorry I haven't been around much. I probably won't be around much until mid-week now. Life is getting in the way of blogging. LOL.

    Have a wonderful weekend, my friend.


  3. That will never do Diane - I have missed you. Have a good weekend yourself.

  4. It is always nice to have a spot of sunshine in the garden.

  5. Living roofs, and vertical gardening, are very much the in-thing at the moment! Flighty xx


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...