It started with a polka dot cup I found in a charity shop. That will look good with flowers in I thought. I went in to the garden and wandered about snipping here and there with the scissors. Came indoors and arranged them as best as I could. Then spent an age going round the house trying to find the best light for taking a few photographs. What I needed were a few props. Now due to my recent de-cluttering activities I don’t have much in the way of nick-nacks or store cupboards full of items to make photo-styling an easy task. It is harder than I thought to get the right items together for a photo shoot. So in the end I used a couple of sheets of thin card in roughly the same colourway as the cup and decided to let the flowers speak for themselves and to leave the rest of the faffing about to the professionals.
I started with a yellow tea towel for a base, but didn’t like the shineyness of the table behind – and you couldn’t even see the cup. Take One.
The tea towel made the blue cup look green – that won’t do. Take Two.
I put the cup of flowers on a shelf, added a polka dot piece of card and a spotty hen into the mix – but the flower colour looked too cold. Drat. Take Three.
That’s better, the flower colour is a little warmer and the light isn’t bad, but not keen on the water marks on the pine surface. Needs a re-think. Take Four.
Different background this time but the shot isn’t very sharp – this is getting a bit frustrating. Take Five.
Okay – let’s try a different approach, come in close and use soft focus – not bad, but you can’t really see much of the flowers. I’m on the verge of giving it up as a bad job. Take Six.
In the end, after most of a morning wasted poncing about, I came up with this. The dark background shows the flower off pretty well – the light is just about right – all it needed was to be kept simple. It took twenty different locations around the house using various objects along the way, none of which were satisfactory. Take Seven hits the spot for me – what do you say.
This was last year’s first flower posy – so I think I have made a bit of improvement this year – there’s always something you can improve upon.
‘Til next time – happy gardening, and remember